Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tuesday March 1st- Restaurants and grocery stores

I wanted to do something different so we practiced tracing on dotted lines. We made zigzag lines and they did well- we will continue to work on these opposite of scissor and name tracing days. Upstairs I had food, babies and beads ready for them to play with to go along with our restaurant and grocery store theme.
Claire was our star and she helped with our color and shape review. Thursday we will do flash cards of different items and their shapes. I was excited to share the first day of March with my three year olds. We have our classroom decorated with shamrocks and our calendar has changed as well. We counted up to 15- adding extra practice on numbers 10-15. We also counted to 8 in Spanish. Days of the week song was next followed by months of the year practice up to August. I showed the students that our calendar goes to 31 days instead of the 28 that was in February. I also highlighted St. Patrick’s Day holiday card on our calendar. Claire and the class helped with our weather song and then we did our alphabet boogie. I introduced our new letter of the week- T and Timmy Tiger. He likes to watch television and he when we gets tired he gets ready for bed by brushing his teeth with a toothbrush and toothpaste. We all practice the letter T by tapping our toes and making the T sound. We also practiced with our T song while we made the T sign. The T sign is making a fist with your thumb in between your pointer and middle finger. I read some words that begin with the letter T- we also noticed that Tyler’s name starts with T and Garrett’s name ends with T. We all did some wiggle song time and then we had our snack. We didn’t have much time to browse the books because we were listening to our Nursery Rhymes that we have learned this year and not eating our snacks :) Claire brought a book for her show and tell that I read to the class- Never take a shark to the dentist and other things not to do. It was a cute book and the kids liked it!
Since I had the class already seated, we started to review our Nursery Rhyme of the month- Hickory, Dickory, Dock. We first did a teacher repeat practice and then we listened to the song following my actions. We were catching on quickly. After that, we got right into our lesson on restaurants and grocery stores. I asked the students what some of their favorite places to eat were- we got on the tangent of ice cream and what kinds that we liked. I had to refocus and talk about food places that we eat dinner or even lunch at. McDonalds, Panera Bread, Panda Express were some of the favorites. I then talked about our theme for the month- All around the town. I had a small story that I shared about different places that we will be discussing throughout the month. After that, I talked about grocery stores and where moms buy our food. I got from many students that they don’t like the grocery stores because they take too long and are boring. We talked about what kinds of foods are at the grocery store and how important they are for us.
I then showed a picture of a chef and they knew what the chef does- I sang a song to go along with a chef and they we imagined that we were chefs and we had our own restaurants. Each child was given a restaurant menu and they had to add what kinds of food they would have at their restaurant. Each child practiced their names at the top and then they went to work. I had each child share their menu with the class and the items they would serve.
For letter time, we twirled for singing the letter T song but all we got was dizzy- especially me! Then we read our T story about Tilly Turtle went to tea and she broke the table and they made her into the table. We had some extra time so we sang the Do as I’m doing song while we tapped our toes and twisted our bodies. Then with one last request, we did the famous I wiggle song to end our day!

No comments: