Friday, March 9, 2012

Wed Nov 30- outback animals

We started our week with scissor practice and then went upstairs to play with play food, nuts and bolts and puzzles. I was pulling each child aside to practice the letter K. This letter seemed to cause us some problems- not as easy as it looks especially the lowercase k. The star helped us with reviewing our shapes with my shapes card game. We jumped like a kangaroo to 30 after calendar time. We have learned our ABC song- I am sure you might have had the chance to hear your child sing it- if not, ask them about it. I introduced our new letter friend- Katie Koala who is friends with Kangaroo and loves to fly her kite. We practiced the sound of the letter “K” by being Karate Kids and doing the “K” sound to kicks! The kids love this and I pretend right along with them. After we wiggled and ate snacks, the star shared their show and tell and we had open book time with all of our new December books in the library area. December is almost here so I wanted to give the kids an opportunity to count up to Christmas with the Santa’s beard advent calendar. Each child colored Santa and I sent home 24 cotton balls for you to add one each day. I hope your child is enjoying doing this. Our theme of the day was outback animals. I got out the globe and showed the kids where Australia and New Zealand were. I talked about the climate and where the animals are found and what they eat. We discussed kangaroos, koalas, kiwis and kookaburras. We cut out some matching cards and played memory at our rectangles on the floor. I sent the Katie Koala coloring sheet home for fun since we didn’t have time to do it in class. For K time, we colored our K practice sheet. We also reviewed our sound for the letter K and its sign. I gave each child a K stamp on their hand and were done for the day. We lined up and did our name review downstairs.
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: