Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tuesday December 7th- Rhombus

 
Posted by Picasa

At table time, we practiced our scissor skills by cutting lines. We have improved greatly- it is awesome to see how much better we are doing with scissors. Thanks for your help at home with this. Upstairs, the students played with little legos, beads and animals. During this time, I took each child separately and practiced the rhombus with them. Their tracing skills are getting better too- they did a good job on this activity all by their selves. Tyler was my star and he helped with our circle time. We points to the colors and shapes and the students have to tell them what they are. After that, we have calendar time- we talk about what day it is, we repeat the date and we count up to ten. We also rang jingle bells when we got to our date! I counted up to Christmas to see how many more days it is until the big the day anyone who would like to join me can. Afterwards, we sing the days of the week song. Tyler helps with weather time and then we move over to talking about our letter friend.
Our letter this week is J! We found out that J is the tenth letter in the alphabet- we have already learned about ten letters. We met Jenny Jellyfish and she likes to drink juice and she swims in a jar. She also likes to play with her jack in the box. We did J jumps as we practiced our j sound. I also read about some words that begin with the letter J and we got a sneak peek at our letter story- Jaguar’s Jungleberry Jamboree. We also practiced the sign- all we do is have our pinkie scoop down to make a “J” in the air. It is a simple sign but some of us were having a hard time with sticking just our pinkie up.
After snack time, we talked about the rhombus or diamonds. I call it rhombus in class because that is what they call it in school and I want to get the children familiar with that name. I had made a big rhombus on the floor with tape and had the kids sit on the side. We read our diamond poem and talked about how a rhombus is made. I showed them that two triangles together make a rhombus. I had all the kids walk the rhombus so they can see how it is made-just on a larger scale. At the table, I had each child color their “Signs can be diamonds” and we talked about the street signs that are in this shape. I gave them some time to read books when I finished their signs on toilet paper rolls.
For letter time, we read about Jaguar’s Jungleberry Jamborree and practiced our sign and sound again. After our stamp, we were finished for the day.

No comments: