Friday, September 2, 2011

Monday May 2nd- Opposites: sink and float

 

Posted by Picasa
 

Posted by Picasa
Downstairs we worked on a harder scissor practice and then headed upstairs for play time with animals and duplos. During this time, I was measuring heights and asking the students questions for their last All about me page for May. Benjamin was my star and helper for circle time. I introduced our new month May and the new calendar for it. We also got a new sight word- “the”. This word is very important in our language and I gave many examples of how we use it in our daily language. The students also got into the spirit and started sharing ways they use it too. After our wiggle time, we had our snacks, book time and show and tell with Benjamin.
For table time, we completed our last all about me page. Afterwards, we had our lesson on the opposites of sink and float. I went back to talk about the boats that we saw during our ships and boats day. We talked about what makes a boat float and what kind of materials do float instead of sinking to the bottom.
At the table we got together and did a science experience of our own with things that sink and float. I had found numerous times around the house that could either sink or float. Each child had to first make a guess of whether the item would sink or float and then they would put it into the box of water. Many of our guesses were right on but some were complete surprises! Each child was able to try three different things in the water and then I reviewed again about what items sank and float and how they are opposites because they are completely different.
For sight word practice we reviewed our word – “the” again and each child practiced printing it on their sight word sticker in their folder.
I also introduced our poem for the month- May and helped the kids to visualize all the different phrases in their mind as we rehearsed it. I hope that will help them as we practice it the next few weeks. Once we completed our practice we were done for the day.

No comments: