Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Friday April 1st- #19

 
I had a variety of different letters out for printing practice. They could pick which letter they wanted to print and then they had to tell me what letter it was and its sound. Upstairs I had food, babies and beads out for play. I had the students working on the number 19 activity with me- putting 19 raindrops on our worksheet. They had to count as they painted with bingo dotters. Ethan was our teacher after we sang Rise and Shine and said our Pledge. He helped the boys review their colors and shapes. They have these skills down! Calendar time was different today because it was the first day of April! We said goodbye to March and hello to April. I also reviewed some of the holidays that we have this month- April Fool’s Day, Earth Day and Easter. We counted to 30 since that is all April has in days and then we learned our new Spanish number 19! We practiced our 10’s to 100 and then we sang Days of the week and did our Macarena Months dance. Weather time was great- we are back to shorts for our weather friend! I fanned out our sight words upside down and then each student had three turns to come and pick out a sight word. They did great. For letter review, I pointed at all the different letters that we have learned this year (only 2 more to learn!) and then they had to tell me the letter and its sound(s). We wiggled, ate our snacks and then explored our new books for our new monthly theme- All about the sand and sea and my three year olds is all about the farm so those are what our stories are about this month. Ethan picked a Magic School Bus book for me to read since he didn’t bring a show and tell and then we started to work on our lesson- the number 19! First I reviewed that this number starts with a 1 and then we make a nine- a circle and a line make the number 9. Each child then worked on this number on their own with some help from me as I observed them working on their own. At this point in our class, I want them to start working on being an independent worker. They will need this skill when they get to Kindergarten and I want to prep them now. At the bottom of the practice, they had to do a dot to dot. These would be a good thing for your child to do at home. Many of them did not recognize the numbers and how they go in order. I will start to work on this after we learn number 20 next week, but it is something that can be worked on at home.
For letter time, we played letter of the week bingo again but this time just used the cards with the letters on them. They had to recognize the letter in order to mark it on their cards. After a few rounds of just letters, I did the last one using the picture cards for fun.

No comments: