Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Monday April 4th- Seashore

div style='text-align:center;margin:0px auto 10px;'>
 

Posted by Picasa
We started our week with scissor practice and then went upstairs for our time with the duplos and links. I was measuring each friend’s height and asking them questions for our April All about me sheet. After that, I had each child complete their “U” worksheet- printing the upper and lower case “U”.
Jackson was sick and he was the star so we went right on to calendar time. Our class did our normal routine and then I introduced our new sight word of the week- and. I taught them how important the word “and” is and showed them how we use it in our daily language and in our reading. For letter time, first we alphabet boogied then I taught about the letter “U” and our letter friend for the week was Unger Unicorn. He likes to stand upside down and carry his umbrella. We reviewed that “U” is a vowel and is important in making many words but it doesn’t start many words. I read them many words that start with “un” and how that created new words. We practice the two sounds for “U”- like in its name and “u” as in up or umbrella. The class sang along to the “U” song and we learned the sign- our two fingers up (pointer and middle) and they have to be touching. When they are opened then they make the sign for “V”. Have your child show you what I mean. We wiggled, ate our snacks and explored all of our new April books. Because Jackson was gone, we had no show and tell so we got right into our All about me pages.
For April, we colored a picture of ourselves, I asked them how they feel when it rains, what they like to do in the springtime and they colored some springtime flowers.
I wanted to do an introduction today to the theme this month- All about the sea and sand. We had a class discussion about the beach- the sights, sounds, smells and activities that we can do there. Some of our classmates haven’t ever been to the ocean, so I asked our friends who have what they have done at the beach. Afterwards I read a Clifford’s Puppy Days book- Beach day. I asked them questions throughout the story of the different experiences that Clifford was having at the beach. Once we finished the book, we went to the table and cut out seashell maniputives. We practiced our counting and grouping- in sets of two and three.
For letter time, we completed our “U” sheet at the table and then came back to our carpets for story time. We read a story about Umbrellabird’s umbrella. Some of the other birds made fun of him but in the end he helped them and they were all friends. We practiced the sounds and sign again as I gave them their letter stamp on their hands.

No comments: