Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tuesday April 5th- Intro to the farm

 

 

 

 

 

Posted by Picasa
Tuesdays is always fine motor skills activity and we used our scissors. Upstairs we played with the wooden blocks/train set and animals. I was measuring each friend’s height and asking them questions for our April All about me sheet during play time. I was the star this week since Audrey is no longer with our class. We had our circle time- I introduced our new month April and shared all the holidays of the month with the kids. We counted, sang, and danced. We met our letter friend- Xavier the X-Ray Expert and practiced the sound and sign for the letter X. X is a difficult letter sound to make because it is two sounds blended together. We first started with a “ka” and then added a “sss”- we said them quickly together. For the sign to help them remember, I talked about X being on a pirate map. One of the famous pirates that we know is Captain Hook. The sign to the letter X looks like a hook so we sang like pirates.  I also read some words that start with x- the list was short and then we sang our song again with our sign.
We wiggled, ate snacks and explored all of our new April books in our library. I shared my show and tell- a picture of my family and then we completed our April All about me page. For April, we colored a picture of ourselves, I asked them how they feel when it rains, what they like to do in the springtime and they colored some springtime flowers.
For lesson time, I wanted to introduce the farm- our theme for the month. I had a poster of the farm and we reviewed each area and the animals and people we meet when we go to the farm. I also had a story to go along with the poster. At the table, we colored a farmer and some animals and cut and glued them on a piece of construction paper. I also sent home a sequencing sheet of a chick- from egg to chick.
For letter time, we practiced our sound and sign for the letter X and then we read the story “A Xylophone for X-Ray Fish”. He was having a birthday party and then at present time we searched all the gifts for the one he wanted the most- a xylophone! His last present was one from his mom and he was so excited because she got him his xylophone. I did individual practice of the sound of the letter X and then gave them their X stamps.

No comments: