Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tuesday April 12th- Planting & I can be patient

 

 

 

 

 

 

Posted by Picasa
To practice our fine motor skills, we practiced with our scissors and then went upstairs for free play with duplo blocks and links. Garrett was our star and he helped with color recognition with our class. We had our circle time with calendar (days of the week, date review and months of the year), counting, weather and practicing our nursery rhyme- Little Bo Peep. We alphabet boogied and met our letter Y and our friend of the week- Yorkie Yellow jacket who likes to ride on yachts and play with his yo-yo. He also does art projects with yellow yarn. Our little fingers have a hard time with this sign- sticking our thumb and pinkie out keeping all the other fingers down. Y is a vowel- sometimes. It has two sneaky sounds- “Yeh” like in yellow and “I” in the word eye. We sang over the song a few times so that we could get the sounds just right. Afterwards we wiggled, ate our snacks and explored our books.
For our lesson we were learning about planting and how to be patient. I read a big book- Spring is Here and it showed the changes that the seasons have throughout the year. I then talked about the 3 important things that are needed for a seed to grow- water, sunlight and soil. I have a variety of different seeds and we looked at these seeds as we passed them around. We noticed that they are all different in size, color and shape and what the seed looks like is not the same as what the plant turns into. I had preschool chairs set up outside and we went out to my back yard. I talked about my garden which is in boxes and how a garden can we anywhere. I showed them all the vegetables that we growing and each child planted some of their own seeds. I had each of the children come up and put soil and wheat seeds into their cups and then we watered them. I have them in my backyard and will send them home after spring break.
We came back inside and read a story called –“I can be patient” about a little girl who had to wait to see what her seeds were going to be. The class then went to the table and colored a worksheet about planting a seed and the plant that it will be become.
For letter time we reviewed the letter Y with its song and then I assessed each child and gave them the Y in yellow on their hands.

No comments: