Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday March 16th- St. Patrick's Day


 

Posted by Picasa
Downstairs we did our name practice- first and last names this time and then upstairs I had all sorts of green toys & manipulatives to play with for our holiday- St. Patrick’s Day! Legos, dupos, big plastic blocks, beads, nuts and bolts, links and color card matchups were what we played with. I also took their pictures with the leprechaun hat & mustache on for the shamrock frame that they created for you.
Benjamin helped with our letter review again and this time for calendar time we pretended to be leprechauns and we counted like we were Irish. It was so fun to see them counting so cute.  We had calendar time with counting, singing and weather. After that we reviewed our sight words, boogied to the alphabet and review the letter I. We wiggled, had our fun St. Patrick’s day green snacks and then we explored our books as I prepped for our St. Patrick’s day party. Benjamin shared his show and tell and then we were on with our lesson.
I started the class with talking about the holiday and why it is celebrated and what some of the symbols stand for. I read “Jamie O’Malley and the Big Potato” story to them and then we went to the table for some coloring activities. I had each child first color and cut out their four leaf clover for their leprechaun pictures. Then each of them made a leprechaun puppet that they enjoyed using with each other. I sent home the insects and I coloring sheet because we ran out of time. Each child got their own leprechaun hat and green or gold beads plus we practiced our letter I sounds and sign before we were finished for the day.

No comments: