Monday, February 28, 2011

Friday January 21st- Places to work: Newspaper company, banks, auto repair and restaurants/bakeries

 
Posted by Picasa
We started off the day with our Q practice at the table downstairs. Upstairs, I had tinker toys and Littlest Pet Shop. Tinker toys unfortunately always turn into weapons :( but that is normal with a crew of five boys and one little girl! Jackson helped me to finish our letter review and we went right into calendar time. We counted to thirty and pretended we were robots counting. When we got to 21 (our date today) we turned on. We also practiced our Spanish and blast off counting. We rocked out to days of the week and months of the year and I also played our “QU” song. This song reminds us that Q and U are almost always found together when we see words with Q. We practiced our sound and sign for Q. I also reviewed our sight word “am” and “Sam”. We will be working on “me” and “Mat” next week. To get ready for our next activity, we did our alphabet boogie and wiggle song. For snack time, I made quesadillas and had apple slices. After snacks, we talked about newspapers. I collected some Anthem View newspapers from my neighbors and we explored the news. What pictures we saw, what info is inside them and how they are delivered. I also talked about the reporters, editors, photographers, print managers and delivery people and what their jobs entail.
For banks, I gave each child a wallet of play money. We first found each bill that Miss Alisha asked for so I could have them look for the numbers on the bill so they know how much it is worth. Then we put our money away in our wallets and talked about the bank. Who works at the bank and their jobs there. Many of the students have been to the bank with you so they are familiar with what is accomplished there. I sang a little song about the bank and they enjoyed singing along.
For a mechanic, we had an activity at the table. We talked about what a mechanic is and their job at an auto repair shop. The activity was a matching game of certain tools they need to fix our cars.
For restaurants and bakeries, I just touched on baking and cooking food for others. We didn’t have much time to get into major details.
For Q time, we colored a quilt. They each had to follow the key to know which colors to use. This took us a while to finish but we completed it and it was sent home. I also sent home a Q activity- a gift for Queen Quintella. Downstairs we got our lowercase q stamp and practiced our sounds again and we were gone for the weekend :)

No comments: