Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday February 21st- Presidents Day

We began our Monday with scissor practice- they are getting harder and the students are doing a great job with them. Upstairs we played with animals and Lincoln logs in honor of Presidents day. I worked with each student to practice recognizing numbers and counting as we stamped cherries on a cherry tree with our fingertips.
Jackson helped me with our letter review and then we started with calendar time. I let the kids know that today was our only class for the week and that we would be out of class until Wednesday March 2nd. We also counted to 28 marching all the way and saluting at 21 in honor of our day. We also practiced our Spanish and blast off counting. We sang days of the week and Macarena months with doing our actions along the way. We talked about the weather, our sight words and letter of the week- E! We reviewed that the letter E is a vowel and has two sounds- E as in eagle when it says its name and e as in egg. We practiced both as we sang our song and also its sign. I read some words that start with the letter E and we practiced our sound and sign again. We wiggled, ate and read some books. Then Jackson shared his show and tell and we ready to learn about our wonderful Presidents.
I started with a child’s biography of George Washington. I read this to the students and then we went over to the table and colored a picture of him. I then read the story of George and the cherry tree. We finished up our cherry tree worksheet by coloring our trees. We were then on to Abraham Lincoln. I read the story of Abraham- his life and his love of books and reading. Then because time was short, I sent the Abraham Lincoln and E practice sheets home to do. I am sorry that I didn’t get them done in class. I also thought that it would be an activity for them for our days off :)

No comments: