Monday, February 28, 2011

Tuesday February 15th- Sun & Moon

We always start our week off with scissor practice to warm up our little fingers for the activities of the day. Upstairs I had beads and tinker toys for the children to play with. We had some amazing creations from them. We even learned that you can use the larger beads on the tinker toys so we made some fun designs. Audrey was my star and she helped with shapes and colors practice. For calendar time, we counted up to 15 pretending to be race cars and practiced our Spanish up to 7. We reviewed our date and we sang the days of the week song. I have also been teaching them the months of the year- we learned June today. After weather time, we alphabet boogied and then we met Rodney Raccoon who like to eat radishes, roller skate and play with his rocket. We did our r sound as we pretended to be race cars racing down the track. We also rocketed into outer space with our R sound. We sang our R song and learned the R sign which is your pointer and middle finger wrapping around each other. I read some words that begin with the letter R and found that some of our friends in class have R’s in their names. After we wiggled, ate our snacks and explored our February library, we were ready for show and tell. Audrey shared what she brought and we started with our Nursery Rhyme time. We made puppets for Hey Diddle, Diddle- 5 in all. Then we practiced the poem by first putting our puppets in order of the poem and then using them as we sang the song a few times.
For our lesson today, we talked about the sun and moon. I first talked about the sun showing the planet poster to them as we discussed it. I sang a song about the sun, we learned that it is a star and that if we took all the planets together the sun would still be bigger. We know that we cannot look at the sun directly or it will hurt our eyes- that is why we wear sunglasses to protect them from the sunlight. I also reviewed with them that our planet would not survive if we didn’t have the heat from the sun- it helps our plants to grow and allows our Earth to live. We also know that we see the sun in the day and its opposite is the moon.
For the moon, I showed them where it was on the poster. I sang them a song about the moon. The moon is rocky and cold. We see the moon at night but it doesn’t always look the same every night. After we talked about this, we went to the table and colored sun and moon puppets. I then asked them questions about the sun and moon and they had to show me the right picture of the sun or moon to answer the questions. I sent home peek a boo moon for an activity there.
For letter time, I read the story of Rosie Raccoon’s radish. Each child reviewed the sound of R when I gave them their R stamps on their hand.

No comments: