Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday January 3rd- Honesty

We started our first day back with scissor practice and upstairs I have big plastic blocks and beads ready to play with. But that wasn’t what the kids wanted to play in- they saw the snow falling from the sky and I should have got them all bundled up to play outdoors but I didn’t and I missed a chance to make a memory! Sorry that I didn’t take advantage of the chance when it was there. We stayed warm and cozy inside and watched all the beautiful flurries fall from the sky. Ethan was my star and we started a new practice this week. We did letter review instead of color and shape review. I know that these smart kids know their colors and shapes so it is on to bigger and better things. We are reviewing our letters in the process of starting to read. More on that to come…
At calendar time we had a few changes. Our season, month and year had all changed and we talked about each one. We have been counting up to 20. We also started something I like to call blast off counting with our class counting from 10 down to 1 then we all blast off! They sure enjoy it :) I also touched on the holidays of the month. Weather time was best of all because we could have a different kind of weather with SNOW! It was so exciting for the students. For letter time, we started to talk about our new adventure- reading. I have introduced the sight word “see” to the students as well as “Sam” as he will be the first friend that we meet in our reading books. They were all adamant in thinking that they can read but as we learning these sight words I think that it will become much easier to them.
After circle time, we had our snacks and then we explored all of our new January books in the library area. I read a few stories about snow to them to go along with our weather for the day.
I introduced our poem of the month and they really learned this one quick! I need to start finding harder poems because these ones are too simple for them.
Our theme for the day was honesty. We talked about what honesty means and then we read our story- I can be honest to explain honesty in simple terms. We learned that it is important to tell the truth and be honest. I also told “The boy who cried wolf” story to them. We learned that it is important not to lie and to be honest in all things.
For letter time, we practiced our letters by recognizing them and their sounds and I read over our first book of the series that we will be starting next week.

No comments: