Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday February 14th- Valentines Party

We started our day with scissor practice and then upstairs I had each child pick their own play dough out of the prize jar. We played with it for our play time with cookie cutters and rollers. Ethan was my star for the week and he helped quiz the students on the letters that we have learned. We were so excited to be at our Valentines holiday on our calendar! We counted to 28 and we shot off like a rocket on the 14. We also practiced our Spanish numbers up to 14 and we did our blastoff counting. We sang our days of the week and months of the year songs. I taught some more moves to our Macarena months- so cute! We all helped with weather time and I introduced two new sight words- sit and Ann. We learned that sit rhymes with it and Mit- two prior sight words that we have had. We also learned Ann who is a giraffe in our reading books. Before letter practice, we did our alphabet boogie. Our letter for the week is the letter R. We met Rodney Raccoon- he loves radishes, roller skating and his rocket. We practiced our sound and sign for the letter R and then did our wiggle song. After snack and book time, I got right into our letter time so that it wouldn’t interrupt our party time. I had all the students watch as I demonstrated how to print the letter Rr. Then each student wrote their names and practiced printing the letter R. They also traced the shapes on the page and colored it. Once we were completed with that worksheet, we started on our party.
I started with reading some Valentine books from our library- “Happy Valentine’s day Mouse”, “How do dinosaurs say I love you” and “Skidamarink- The I love you song” book which I sang to them and taught to them quickly. I had valentines for their parents ready to create and then valentines’ containers to decorate with stickers. After we did that, I had the students look at books as I got our table ready for cookie decorating time. Each student had their own cookie, frosting and sprinkles to decorate with. Once they were done, they ate them and I had water and milk for them to drink. After cookies, we all had turns to share our valentines that we had made for each other in class. They were all so fun and the kids loved sharing them with each other. I gave each child an R stamp as we practiced the sound when we were leaving for the day. We had a wonderful Valentine’s Day with each other!

No comments: