Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fri Mar 16th- #17

For our practice, we printed the letter I in capital and lowercase. Once that was completed they could stamp the letter I on the back of the sheet. I had nuts and bolts, trains and foam blocks ready for them to play with. I pulled the students aside to work on printing the number 17. Once the completed the printing part, they had to do a dot to dot from 1 to 17 counting the whole time. Once they finished that, they colored the truck however they wanted. Our star helped with color and shape practice. For fun, we did a little leprechaun jig as we counted to 17. Then we practiced counting to 17 in Spanish and did our 10s counting to 100. We looked at our calendar and remembered that the day was Friday and we were in March. We sang our days of the week in Spanish and our months of the year in English. I will start to teach the months of the year in Spanish next week. We reviewed our spring song and sang both winter and spring song. We are excited to say goodbye to winter!! Our star helped with weather time and the class helped with singing the song. For letter time, we boogied and practiced our letter I- its two sounds, sign and that it is also a word!! I gave many examples of how we see the letter I actually as a word. The other letter word is the letter A which we will be learning next week. The star chose the wiggle song, we ate our snacks, looked at books and had show and tell time. For our theme of the day- the number 17- we reviewed by counting in English and Spanish then I reviewed how to write the number 17. I told them that the 7 needs to look like a slide not a fireman’s pole- it has to have an angle to it. Also asked them how to make a 17- with a one and a seven and then I showed them the number 17 and 71. They had to tell me which one is correct and I talked about how important it is that numbers are in the right order to make the right number. I brought the class to the table and for the second #17 practice, they colored the grass and the sun and then had to glue on 17 kites flying in the sky. We did the gluing as a class. This is to help them improve their listening skills and to make sure that they had 17 kites in the sky on the worksheet. I ask them along the way- how many more do we need? Some of the students didn’t understand what I was talking about. I will start working more on math and numbers with the students. I then had the class count them all touching them with their pencil leaving a little mark so they can keep track of what they have counted. For letter time, I talked about our letter and we made our letter friend- insect on the I. They turned out so cute!! After that, each student colored the Iguana in the Ivy page that we had practiced printing on Monday. Students came back to their rectangles and we sang our song for the letter I working on their sign as well. I discussed again that it is also a word. For the last part of class, I sang the Itsy Bitsy Spider book because Itsy starts with I. Once we finished that, the students were complete for the week!

No comments: