Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tues May 1st- shapes review day

We began our week with name practice- tracing and then on our own. I have been incorporating them writing their names all on their own. Please continue to practice with them at home on this. They played with nuts and bolts, babies and duplo blocks. I pulled the kids aside to work on the letter Z with them- printing and sounding out the letter. I also asked them questions about their All about me page for May and I took their height. After we cleaned up, we came together to work on our shapes. I have a set of shape picture cards and I gave each child 4 cards. When I would focus on a shape, the kids reviewed their cards and then they had to come up at the front of the class and tell everyone what shape they had. We counted to 20 pretending to “zip our jackets” up and down and then we did blastoff counting. Once we completed that we had calendar time with singing, reviewing the date and learning our new season song- summer! Jax helped dress our weather friend and the rest of the class helped to figure out the weather. We boogied to the ABCs and then talked about the letter Z- how it is printed and its sound. I talked about some words that begin with Z and then we finished with singing the Z song. After that, we wiggled, ate snacks and looked at our new May library of books. Jax shared his show and tell and then we started to work on our new nursery rhyme- Little Boy Blue. I first worked on the words and the actions and then we added the song. We went over a few times and then came over the table to work on the song booklet. Once we finished coloring it, the class listened to the song again as we looked at the pages in the booklet. For shape review day, I talked about each one- how they are made and what makes them similar and different from each other. At the table, they had to match shapes in the right direction. Once they finished that, we read the book “The Shape of things”. After that we went back to the table to make our own shape flashcards- each child colored, cut them out and reviewed each one with me. For Z time, we practiced our Z song and read “Zack the lazy Zebra”. We found all the Z words in the picture and then I stamped each hand as we reviewed the sound. Once we finished, we were done with our day!

No comments: