Thursday, August 2, 2012

Wed Apr 18th- Earth Day

Our day started with a great scissor practice for the kids and then they played with beads, transformers and star wars characters and Mr. Potato head. Garrett helped with us color cards- reviewing the colors and spelling them out. We yawned to 20 and did blast off counting. During calendar time, we just sang Days of the week in English and our spring time. Garrett helped with weather time and the other students helped me with figuring out what the weather was. For letter time, we learned that Y has three sounds- yah, I like in “eye” and “E” as in “rainy”. We sang our song with the three sounds and then we talked about some of the words that start with Y. We also practiced our sight words- “you” and “yes”. Afterwards, we wiggled, ate snacks and explored our books. Garrett shared his show and tell and then our class reviewed or April poem. For our lesson on Earth day, I read “I can take care of the environment”. We discussed what “environment” means and how the characters in the story took care of theirs. I then read “Big World, Little Me” and in that book it gave simple ways for children to help keep our earth clean. I put an at home activity in their folders of ways they can help the Earth at home. I explained each of the activities and I attached star stickers to mark each item completed. If they return it, they get to pick out a prize. For table time, we colored the earth with blue and green and then I asked each child how they were going to help the earth. I wrote this on the little note and then they glued this on to the back of their Earth after they cut it out. While we were coloring I played the song –“3 is magical number” by Jack Johnson from the Curious George soundtrack. It sings all about reduce, reuse and recycling. They were rocking out and it has a great message. Once we were completed with that, we come back to our carpets and I read the Y story about the young Yak who yelled “YUCK”- a great story to promote trying new foods instead of saying it is gross before you try it. After we read the story we reviewed our sign and sounds for the letter Y and got a stamp if we wanted it. In my living room, we watched an episode of Curious George about recycling and how to do it correctly. It was a simple way to teach about Earth day and some thing we can do to help the Earth.

No comments: