Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tues Apr 17th- farm animals

Students worked on the first name as they came in. I am having them start to write it on their own and will be working on this for the remainder of the school year. Please practice with your child at home if they don’t already know how to write their name. I had little people, shape puzzles and tweezers with puffs out for play time. I was pulling the students aside to work on the letter Y- teaching them how to trace it and its sounds. Aspen was our star and she helped us review our colors and shapes. Afterwards we yelled to 25 and did blastoff counting. For calendar time, we reviewed our date, sang days of the week, months of the year and our spring song. Aspen helped us with dressing our weather friend and all the students helped me figure out the weather. For letter time, we learned about the letter Y after we boogied to the ABCs. We learned that Y is a vowel- sometimes. . It has two sneaky sounds- “Yeh” like in yellow and “I” in the word eye. We sang over the song a few times so that we could get the sounds just right. I read the Y words which weren’t very many. Once we finished that, I let the students listen to the Vowel song about all the vowels and then we found the vowels in our names. Afterwards we wiggled, ate our snacks and explored our books. Aspen shared her show and tell with the class and then we practiced our nursery rhyme- Little Bo Peep. For our lesson, I showed the poster of the farm and we found different kinds of farm animals. Then I have another poster- A farm scrapbook and I had each student come up and pick one out and then I would teach about each one. Horses, pigs, goats, sheep, ducks, cows, and chickens were the animals we reviewed. Once I taught a little about each one, we went to the table to work on a patterning page. I gave the students 6 pictures and they had to match and glue each picture on correctly. Once they finished it, they colored it and we worked on their name. For carpet time, I explained the process of egg to chick. Then each student had to put it in order. Once they did it right, I put the cards in their folder. For Y time, we sang our Y song a few times and I read our Y story about the young Yak who yelled “YUCK”- a great story to promote trying new foods instead of saying it is gross before you try it then we went to the table to color and practice the letter Y. They did a great job! To end our day, we listened to the vowel song and I stamped the capital Y on their hand in yellow. It didn’t turn out very dark though. Sorry!

No comments: