Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tues Jan 10th- My 5 senses- taste & sight

We always start our Tuesdays with name practice and then move over to play time. I had the food, wooden blocks and magnets out to play and explore with. I pulled each child aside to work on printing the letter M for the week. Aspen helped with circle time reviewing colors and shapes. For counting, we marched up to 15 and then did our blastoff counting. I taught about our date, sang days of the week and started working on the months of the year- January and February. We also dressed our weather friend- Bob and boogied to the alphabet. We learned that M says “mmm” like something tastes good and then we reviewed some words that begin with M. After snacks, we were on to our lesson of the week- our 5 senses. We started with learning about taste. I read a story to the children on how our taste buds work and how they help us to send messages to our brain of what we are eating. We did a science project on how our taste buds work. I had four different types of food for the kids to try. We started with olives for bitter. For sour, we tried a sour patch kid. Some of us liked them and the sour taste. For salty, I gave each child a tortilla chip and I let them know that the big crystals on them are salt and for sweet, we each had a rolo- which we liked the best! For sight, I had all the kids close their eyes and ask them how they would be able to do their morning routine without sight. We all agreed that it is wonderful that we can. I talked about some of us whose eyes don’t work like they are suppose to so we can either have glasses or contact lens that you can’t see on the eye. We read a story about sight and how it is important to take care of our eyes- wearing sunglasses out in the sun and protecting when we need to. For letter time, I read Monkey’s Miserable Monday and this story was in your child’s folder. We also reviewed the letter and sound of the week- M. They got an “M” stamp on their hand and we were finished for our day.

No comments: