Thursday, August 2, 2012

Wed May 2nd- Eric Carle Day

I have been giving the students more challenging scissor practice pages to help them be prepared for kindergarten. Once they finished that activity, they played with big blocks, animals and small puzzles. I pulled students aside to complete their all about me page and I measured their height for the last time.  Once we finished with play time, the star helped with colors sight words. The words were no longer their color so they had to know the word- they did a pretty good job for their first time. After that we counted to 20 like painters because our day was about Eric Carle then they had to tell me what they had “painted”. We also counted to 20 in Spanish. For calendar time, we reviewed our new month May and the holidays of the month. We sang days of the week in English and months of the year in Spanish. We also sang our new summer song before weather time. For letter time, we boogied and practiced our ABC song for graduation. The class and I reviewed our sight word and –ell word family and then we wiggled, ate snacks and explored the Eric Carle books that I had put out. Our star shared their show and tell and then we went right into our lesson. For Eric Carle day, I discussed books that he has written and how unique his illustrations are. I taught about how he does his pictures and then I read the Hungry Little Caterpillar. To review this book and our days of the week, we complete a printing practice of the days going along with the “The Hungry Little Caterpillar” book. As we wrote each day, we talked about what the caterpillar ate that day. Once we completed that activity, we had Eric Carle movie time. I have a few of his books on DVD which the kids seemed to really enjoy. We watched the Hungry Little Caterpillar and the Mixed Up Chameleon. Afterwards, we started learning a new song for preschool graduation- When I Grow up. Once we went over this song a few times, we lined up and headed for home.

No comments: