Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thurs Jan 12th- My 5 senses- smell, hearing and touch

Thursdays start with scissor time and then for open play, I had tweezers and puffs to pick up. They also played with the little people sets and the shape puzzles. I had some extra bubble wrap and the students loved popping that with their fingers. Aspen again helped with our circle time and we learned March and April in our Months of the year song. We continued to review the letter M and work on its sound. We had our wiggle song and then it was on to snacks, book time and show and tell. We worked on Humpty Dumpty singing the song and coloring the puppets to the nursery rhyme. Then we practiced again with the puppets. For our instructional time, I extended the class because I had planned for so many activities to do as we learned about our senses. We started the day with hearing. I read a story about hearing and how our ears send messages to our brain to recognize what we are hearing. I gave each student a bell and we practiced loud and quiet sounds. I showed each child their sound page for the Our 5 senses book- it had a bell on it. For smell, I read a story on smelling and how our noses help us recognize good smells and those that can be bad for us. We also discussed how it is harder to recognize smells when we are sick. For our smelling activity, I had vinegar and various essential oils to smell. For their 5 senses book, I gave them each a page with three smells- peppermint, lavender and a pear home oil and then asked which one was their favorite. For our final sense, touch, we read our touch story and we talked about our skin and how we can feel things all over our bodies. Also how those who have lost their sense of sight use touch to help them in many ways. I asked the class what they like to feel and then I gave them their last 5 senses book page with a piece of fabric, sandpaper and bubble wrap on it for them to discover different textures. After we completed our 5 senses, we came to the table and they colored a worksheet of a hand and the different things that they can touch. For letter time, we practiced our letter M by singing our M song and then I stamped each child’s hand as we reviewed our letter’s sound. Once we packed up, we were finished for the day!

No comments: