Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thurs Feb 23rd- #8

The students came into class and I had them each work on their names. After they finished, they played with wooden blocks, transformers, star wars characters and magnetic dolls. I pulled each child aside to work on the letter S and number 8. We discussed the sound the letter s makes and that 8 in Spanish is ocho. Chelsea helped with circle time responsibilities and then we counted to 8 in English and Spanish slithering like a snake (or stomped our feet). The class and I reviewed the date and the calendar and then we sang months of the year. Chelsea helped dress our weather friend and then we boogied to the ABCs. I talked about the letter s and how it is found in so many words. I allowed the class to relax as I read from our letter book all the words that begin with this popular letter. We practiced the sound of S and then we did our wiggle song. Chelsea had brought an S themed snack and we also had doughnuts to celebrate Kayden’s birthday! After snacks, we went right into show and tell and our nursery rhyme time. The class sang to Hey Diddle Diddle and Jax and Logan were able to pass off this nursery rhyme too. We also sang to our planets song to practice it. For out instructional time, we practiced counting to 8 in English and Spanish and then sang our numeral song practicing our numbers in the air. Because 8 is a harder number to do, we practiced it a few ways. We sang our “what’s inside the kitten’s jar” song and counted the balls in the jar-8. Then I had all the students come to the table and add the 8 planets into their jar on the worksheet. Then I had made a big 8 on the floor with tape and each child had a chance to walk the number 8 to try to understand how it is made. They seem to enjoy this activity. After all the students finished, I read “8 spinning planets” book to the class and we counted all the planets and then we sang the planets song again. As I prepped for our planet poster activity, I had the students look at books as they didn’t get to earlier. I divided the class up on to my two tables and we colored each planet one at a time as I discussed each one. Each child did a great job completing their posters. I hope they enjoyed showing them to you. After we finished, we sang the planet song again. For letter time, we practiced the sound of the letter S and I read Seal’s Silly Sandwich story and I had all the students come and pick out an S word from the story. I did individual S sound practice with the students as I gave them their stamps and we had finished our day.

No comments: