Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mon Mar 5th- gardens

My sweet students practiced their names first and last and then played with Mr. Potato Head, animals and beads. I practiced the letter G with each child individually and they finished their shape tracing on the worksheet. I also asked the students a few questions and measured their heights for our March all about me page. Cole was our star and he helped the students to review the lowercase letters we have learned so far. For calendar time, we counted in grumpy voices up to 31 and in Spanish to 15. Blastoff counting was followed with singing the days of the week in Spanish. We talked about our date then we sang our winter song. Cole helped us in weather time. We did our alphabet boogie to get ready for letter time. I had introduced the letter G and its two sounds-“ga” and “ja”. G is sneaky because he steals another letter’s sound. I practiced the song and the sign with the class. I read from my letter book words that start with the “ga” and “ja” sounds. After letter time, we reviewed our sight word “sat”. I discussed the –at word family and how if you take the –at sound and add another letter, you can make all kinds of words. Once we finished, we wiggled, ate our snack and then we had some book time. Cole shared his show and tell and then we colored our Alll about me page for March. For our class time, I started to discuss gardens. We talked about different plants that can be grown in a garden from flowers to fruits and vegetables. I had a song about gardeners and all the kind of protection they have to use in the garden. From gloves, hat and sunglasses to help them stay protected in the sun. Also you can have a garden for fun or you can garden for a job. After our floor time, we went up to the table and counted flowers in a garden. The class reviewed counting and then writing the correct number. It was great practice to print the numbers on their own. I concluded garden day by reading “Olivia grows a garden” book to the class. For letter time, the students practiced the sounds and sign of the letter G. We also reviewed our sight word for the week. I stamped the letter G on their hands and we were done for the day.

No comments: