Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fri Mar 2nd- #15

Usually Fridays are letter review but instead I had the students complete patterning sets at the table. I had magnetic shapes, cars and trucks and shape puzzles out for play time. I also had a new addition to our class- 30 caterpillars. We will be watching their growth for the new few weeks as they turn into butterflies. I brought students over to work on the number 15- printing it and then learning that 15 in Spanish is quince (keen-say). They had to find the necklace with 15 beads and color that on the worksheet. After clean up, Sally helped the class work on their colors and shapes and then we counted to 15 marching the whole time to celebrate our new month. We also practiced counting to 15 in Spanish. I was excited to share all the changes we had had in classroom since our last class. All of the decorations were different and our calendar showed us a new month- March! After that we sang the Days of the week in Spanish and then I showed them that March is a longer month with 31 days instead of the 28 or 30 days in other months. I also shared all the birthdays, holidays and special events of the month. We completed weather time, alphabet boogie and singing ABC song with doing our signs together. Fridays are individual sight word practice so we went over all the words we have learned so far. After we wiggled, we ate our snacks and explored all of our new March books. Sally shared her show and tell and I started to teach our new poem for the month- about a caterpillar. This is also in each student’s folder for review at home. For the number 15 day, we first counted in English and Spanish. Then I gave each student a whiteboard and I had them practice writing the number 15 on their own. Some students had a harder time with the number 5 but we were all doing it on our own towards the end of the practice. I brought all the students to the table and they colored a squirrel then used finger paint to give the squirrel 15 “acorns”. I have been working with the students on perfecting their counting in the teens. Some students skip some numbers as they count. Please work on this skill with them at home. For letter time, I put the lower case letters we have learned out on the table. Then each child would pull an uppercase letter out of a paper bag. Their job was to find the match. As a class we would then review the letter and the sound(s) it makes. We had a chance to play a few quick games of letter of the week bingo and review our sight words before class was done.

No comments: