Thursday, August 2, 2012

Wed Mar 14th- St. Patrick's Day

Our day started with fine motor practice by working our fingers using our scissors. I had green play dough, wooden blocks and littlest pet shop. I was pulling the students aside to start their shamrock art by using cookie cutters to stamp on their papers. After those were finished and drying, I took pictures of all the students as cute little leprechauns. Our star helped us review our color words- we would use these sight words for a rainbow coloring activity later. The class then counted to 31 taking little inch steps, then we did blastoff counting and counted to 16 in Spanish. I reviewed the date then the holidays and special days in March especially St. Patrick’s Day. We sang days of the week in Spanish and then practiced our spring song as well as the winter song. Our star helped dress our weather friend and the class worked together to figure out the weather. For letter time, we boogied to the alphabet and then we discussed our letter I- singing both sounds with making the sign. I reviewed that it is a vowel and how important this letter is. I showed where the letter I is in the alphabet. The class practiced repeating the sight words- that and Nan and I worked with them on the “th” sound and the –at word family. Nan is also one that we need to work on some more. Our star picked the wiggle song and then they ate snacks, looked at books and we had show and tell time. For our theme of the day, I explained why we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and talked about some of the other ideas that have come with the holiday- shamrocks for luck and leprechauns protecting their gold at the end of the rainbow. We read the book- 10 lucky leprechauns and they found their luck- 10 new friends! Then we went to the table and colored the shamrock frame for their leprechaun pictures that were taken earlier. As I prepped for painting, the kids looked at books. I got everyone in aprons and they each painted their own shamrocks that they had stamped earlier. After that, we came back to our rectangles and read another story- It’s St. Patrick’s Day! This book was my gift to them for the holiday. We went back over to the table to work on our rainbow- they had to read the color words and color each rainbow part the right color. Then at the end, they had to draw what treasure was going to be at the end of their rainbow. Once they completed that, we read our last story- ready Freddy: Looking for Leprechauns. For our final letter time, we sang our I song which practicing the two sounds and the sign. I stamped their hands as I reviewed the sounds with each child. We also worked on our two sight words. For the end of the day, I let them pick out their own St. Patrick’s Day sticker to wear that day or to use on Saturday.

No comments: