Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thurs Mar 15th- I can help

To start off the week we did a scissor practice to warm up our fine motor skills. I had green play dough, wooden blocks and littlest pep shop ready for play. I pulled the students aside to work on the letter U- they did a great job tracing this one on their own. Molly was our star and she helped with our shape and color match up. We counted to 20 acting like little leprechauns and we also practiced our Spanish up to 9. Our calendar time consisted of repeating the date, Days of the week and months of the year songs and weather time. We did our alphabet boogie and worked on the letter U and its two sounds. Then the students wanted to listen to the vowel song again. After that we did our wiggle song, ate our snack, read some books and Molly shared her show and tell- a little book about cute piggies. For nursery rhyme time, we sang Hickory, Dickory Dock. Then each child came to the table to make their puppets for the nursery rhyme. We sang the song again with our puppets to help with remembering the characters of the rhyme. For lesson time, I started with discussing our theme of the day- I can help. I asked the students what they each do to help at home and then I asked them how they help at school. I read them a story about how we can help others around us. After the story we did some comprehension questions and then we listened to a song called a Happy Helper. We listened the first time and then we danced along the second time. I urged all the kids to work on being a happy helper at home for their families. For letter time, we practiced the song for the letter U. We went back to the table to complete our U coloring sheet. We We reviewed the sound again as I stamped each child’s hand with the letter U. For the end of class, I read 10 lucky Leprechauns and Ready Freddy: Looking for Leprechauns to end with a nod to St. Patrick ’s Day. Then each student got to pick out a St. Patrick’s Day sticker and we were finished for the week.

No comments: