Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mon Feb 13th- Valentines day party

Mondays always start with name practice- first and last and then they were on to playing with red play dough with heart cookie cutters, duplos and organizing our links by color into heat bowls. I pulled each child aside to make heart handprint valentine’s card for the parents. I also had them come back to practice the sight word- sit with me. Garrett helped as my star for the week and he quizzed the students on the letters that we have learned. We were so excited to be at our Valentines holiday on our calendar! We counted to 25 running in place. We also practiced our Spanish numbers up to 13 and we did our blastoff counting. We sang our months of the year song. All the students helped with weather time and I introduced two new sight words- sit and Ann. We learned that sit rhymes with it and Mit- two prior sight words that we have had. We also learned Ann who is a giraffe in our reading books. Before letter practice, we did our alphabet boogie. Our letter for the week is the letter R. We met Rodney Raccoon- he loves radishes, roller skating and his rocket. We practiced our sound and sign for the letter R and then did our wiggle song. After snack and book time, I got right into our party. Each student stamped their Valentine’s bag holder and then we relaxed as I read the class three Valentines books- “How do I love you?” which helps the students count up to 20, “Clifford’s Puppy Days- Puppy Love” which discussed love and how it shown and given to everyone around us and “Emily’s Valentine’s Party”. For our party game, we played cupid’s arrows. I gave each child a large straw and some Q-Tips. They had to blow the “arrows” into their targets. They had a lot of fun playing this game. For our class treat, I made heart sugar cookies and each child decorated and then ate their creation. Last but not least, each child was able to pass out their valentines to each other. They were all so fun and the kids loved sharing them with their friends. For my valentine’s gift, I gave them a book. Hope they enjoyed reading this! At the end of class, I gave each child an R stamp as we practiced the sound when we were leaving for the day. We had a wonderful Valentine’s Day with each other!

No comments: